Saturday, October 9, 2010

New Drink/Appetizer/Place Card/Candy Station

Okay so it has been complete for about 6 weeks but I had only documented the process on FB and not blogged about it yet. Honestly, building is in my blood and The Inn gives me an outlet however I am pretty sure this can be accomplished by anyone with just a few key tools and materials.

I had the idea months ago that I really needed to build a table for the outside of the fireplace wall. It was such a massive element that folding tables just did not please the designer in me. It wasn't until I was given a bunch of old fencing that it all came together. Here are the stages:
Before with just folding tables

The beginning...2 4x4 post, some 2x4 pt pine, 4 porch posts & a 4x8 sheet exterior grade plywood

The start of adding the old fencing

Top and trim complete with recycled fencing

A light coat of the same rich brown that the trim on the house was painted a few weeks prior.

This is where the fun begins. I added in a random way light blue from the ceiling and green from the wall at the end of the veranda. (sorry it's sideways...it refuses to rotate :( )

Now a almost dry brush effect with the cream color from the inside of The Inn.

Now was time for the orbital sander to give it the unique aged look as if the fencing had survived many paintings.

Here it is after the sanding and post poly stain to further enhance the aged effect along with protection (sorry it's sideways...it refuses to rotate :( )

A little sisal rope detail to add to the rustic nature of the piece.

All Finished and ready to be used!!!
It has already been a fabulous addition to several weddings and I can't wait to post pro pictures as it gets many years of use. So don't be afraid to reuse & recycle...you never know what gem you could create.

1 comment: